Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Wink and a Smile

The other day in my psychology class I learned about a study that was performed to see if simply doing the facial expression of a smile would make an individual happier. In order to keep the tester unaware of the experimenters' purpose they had the individual put a pencil in their mouth and read comics. The first time they read them with their lips closed and the second they had to read them griping the pencil in their teeth so it was like they were smiling. On average the person was happier, if only subtly.
I decided to try something along the same lines. I walked around campus and would smile at people. It was actually quite entertaining how some people reacted. The average person would smile back and continue to smile as they walked away. Then there would be the person who would continue their intense study of their feet. Or the individual that wouldn't smile, but dart their eyes at me in a confused expression and look away. Finally I would get the guys who wouldn't smile, but just as they were about to walk past they would mutter a quick nervous 'how are you.' I was rewarded today for smiling at people because not only did I get a cute guy to smile back, but he said how are you, as well. :) So I believe my experiment was a success in the fact that I have become happier by smiling.
I've been pondering on whether to take my experiment one step further and actually wink at a guy, but as of yet I lack the courage. My ponderings have been along these lines, "If I wink at a guy what do I say if he asks for my number and I don't want to give it?....Maybe that I'm conducting a social experiment and can't give out my personal information....Maybe I can just wink at guys who have girlfriends, then they won't make a move.....but would that make me a home wrecker?....Also what happens if their girlfriend happens to be in one of my future classes and has to be my partner...." So maybe I'll just stick with the smiling. At least this way I know I won't get beat up by an upset girlfriend for trying to make a move on her guy.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

you're so funny! I'm glad your experiment is working. :) for you