Monday, April 19, 2010

Dashed Dream = A Blessing in Disguise?

One of my lifelong dreams has been to take a trip to Paris. A few months ago this seemed like it was going to come to fruition and I would be able to finally fulfill one of my bucket list goals. Yet as I began to plan the trip with some of my friends I kept having this nagging feeling that I was doing something wrong. Nothing seemed out of place. We had safe plans, we were going with a group, and I could afford it. I was kinda frustrated about my feelings. Then I found that the trip would land right on finals week. I would have a day to take all my finals. What I didn't realize then was that taking my finals all in one day was what I would end up doing anyway. At the time I used that as an excuse to back out of the trip. I was pretty bummed, but I figured that I would eventually get another chance to go.
The funny thing is that I have only now come to realize just how good of a choice it was to back out of the trip. I don't know if you have been watching the news, but a volcano has been exploding in Europe stopping all plane traffic. My group that I was going with to Europe have been stranded in a part of Romania and if I had continued with my traveling plans I would have arrived in Paris all alone. I was going to meet them in Paris when they flew out of Romania on the 17th. In hindsight I am very glad that I chose to back out of the trip because now I have the opportunity to go to Mexico and learn how to build a home to help an impoverished family. Woot! Kinda interesting that the dashing of my dream was a blessing in disguise and the opening of other opportunities. So next time a dream is thrown out the window just think it could be because a greater one is just around the corner, you just can't see it yet.

No comments: