Thursday, April 22, 2010

Super Senior Prom

One of the greatest joys about being home is that I have been able to get my old job back at the assisted living facility that I worked at last year. So I get to see a lot of the old folks that I helped care for last summer. A few of them have passed away, but there are some of the same and the new ones are just as fun to get to know.
Yesterday was a lot of fun because the facility hosted a senior prom for the residents. Hillcrest high school students also came to dance with and get to know the residents. It was so much fun to see some of the residents get asked to dance and to see how their faces just lit up. It took me back to when I was able to go to high school dances. I can't believe that it is already two years ago! It was so much fun to get all dressed up and wait in anticipation for your date to pick you up (especially if you really liked the guy :) The dances were usually silly, held in the cafeteria of the high school with a bunch of kids attempting to dance and a few succeeding. Feeling like Cinderella as you look into the blue eyes of your prince charming. haha I miss it now and wish that I could go back and whisper in the younger me's ear, 'enjoy this moment, really live it, 'cause it goes by fast.'
Unfortunately time travel hasn't been invented yet so I will have to settle with committing myself to work harder to live in the moment now so that I won't ever need to remind myself of how precious a commodity time is. That way if I ever get the opportunity to dance at an assisted living facility with a young whipper-snapper I will be able to show as much joy, if not more, on my face as the sweet residents showed me last night.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

McKayla, You are so sweet and compassionate. Such a great quality to have. I'm sure the residents are glad to have you back too! Muwahh!

The Geists said...

How sweet!! You are one of the sweetest people I know!! I'm glad you enjoy your job!! I'm whispering into your ear now, really enjoy it!!