Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Bark Yorkshire

I love surprises, so it is good that life is full of them. My surprise happened the other day in the family history lab. I have been given the project to learn about a family in my history that had a child born before 1900 so kind of randomly I chose to search for my Grandma Carter's Father's family. I had to find dates of birth, marriage, and death and record them for the first few projects.
This final project, though, had me searching for the actual story of the family. This has been really neat because there is so much to find, it is a lot of work but I love it! So anyway back to the family history lab. I was trying to find information about Walter St. John (my great great grandfather) and I couldn't seem to find very much so I decided just to go back a little bit further and see what I found. At first I didn't find very much then like buried treasure I found that Walter's father and immigrated to America in 1843 and then I found his immigration records from the boat The Bark Yorkshire! I found some of his family and learned more about his story.
He and his family had been converted in England by some elders and had promptly left for America. On the way they hit a storm that broke the foremast, mainmast, and mizzenmast! So they came into the port in New Orleans with just the hull of the vessel. They lost two children on the voyage and the mother and another daughter died on their trek across the plains. I can't even imagine the hardship they went through and my Great great great grandfather was only 4 years old! I am so grateful for these ancestors who sacrificed so much for me and made it possible for me to have the gospel in my life! So now I am happily addicted to genealogy. :)

No comments: