Friday, May 28, 2010

Fate and Filipino Food

"Hey McKayla this is Dan from (garbled) and I was wondering if you weren't doing anything tomorrow night and if I could come over and make you Filipino food."
This was the message I received last Friday night and the first thought that passed through my head after "mmmm Filipino food", was "who is Dan?"
I repeated the message assuming that I had simply misunderstood the name, but it was Dan and I had no idea who he was. So being the assertive individual that I am I called him the next morning. Our conversation went like this.
"Hey this is McKayla I got your message."
"Hey how are you?"
"I'm good, but ummm I'm not exactly sure who you are."
"This is Dan Funk"
pause
"From school...."
"I still am not sure who you are, sorry"
"Do you go to the Y?"
"Yep"
"Are you going to the Philippines on your mission"
"Ummm not that I'm aware of"
"Oh....I don't know how I got your number. Well are you here in Provo?"
" No I'm actually home with my family"
"Oh..."
Awkward pause
"well...it was nice to meet you."
"you too, talk to ya soon."
So pretty random conversation. After hearing his last name, though, I realized I had at least heard of him so I decided to facebook stalk him to see if I knew his face. While doing that I remembered where I'd heard it. My friend Alli Evenson had sent me a message a while back asking if I knew Dan Funk, but I hadn't. He had talked to her about a girl named McKayla that went to BYU and that he wanted to take on a date, but didn't have her number and such. Alli thought he was talking about me so she gave him my number. He never called so I'm assuming he found the right McKayla and just mixed up our numbers when he was trying to call her.
At this point in my realization I had found him on facebook and low and behold I do know him. It turns out he was the really attractive guy in my physiology class last fall that caught me staring at him. Small world, huh? My sister and mom had followed me on this realization and after saying I did know him my mom declared that it must be fate for us to meet and said I should text him and say I did know him. What do I say though? "Hey Dan so in a weird coincidence I do know you. We had physiology together and are both friends with Alli and ya my mom thinks it's fate we meet. What do you think? Do you still want to serve me Filipino food? I love food. Well basically anything edible I love...."
So ya I didn't text or call him, but I'm curious. What do you think? Do you think I should let him know about his fate? I'm not sure I buy the whole fate scenario, but hey I could get free Filipino food.

3 comments:

Jen said...

GO FOR IT!!!!!

Julie Williams said...

It wouldn't hurt to call or text you never know what will happen :)!

Unknown said...

Hey you never know. Go ahead and have some fun!