Monday, June 22, 2009

Uno and Alzheimers

Ever since I was little Uno has been one of the favorite games in my family. Probably because the concept is so simple. Match the color or the number. Well at my job as a CNA we are encouraged to keep the residents busy so that they are able to live a full life. So on a particularly slow afternoon one of the other CNA's suggested I play Uno with some of the residents. No problem right? Well here is a snap shot of how it went.
Me: Ok to play the game you match the cards in your hand to the color or number of the card on the table. Try to get rid of all your cards. Ok?
Mandy: Ok I think I get it.
Jane: Ok
So we go around the table and it is Jane's turn.
Jane: Now what am I supposed to do?
Mandy: Match the card or the number.
Jane: Which is better
Mandy we aren't keeping score so neither.
Jane: Is a High or lower number better?
Mandy: It doesn't matter because we aren't keeping score.
Jane: Ok I think I get it now.
Then we would go around the table again and the scene would repeat, almost word for word. Until finally Jane laid down the last card.
Jane: what do I do now?
Me: You won :)
Jane: oh really?
Then they both laughed at how many cards I had accumulated trying to extend the game. I love these old people so much they make me laugh. Not only have I have learned some pretty fantastic words and phrases like Jeepers, bonkers, and criminey, but I think or at least I hope I'm learning to be more patient.

No comments: